Bill is a Senior Vice-President in the Financial Recovery Services practice, situated primarily in Owen Sound, and was leader of the Financial Recovery Services practice for the Firm between 2005 and 2013. He has over 30 years insolvency and restructuring experience in a variety of industry sectors.
Recent engagements include:
• Transportation – Facilitated the sale of assets and transfer of a going concern regional transportation company through a BIA proposal process;
• Golf – Court appointed receiverships including operation of golf course, management of equity member group, sale of business and payment of claims; appointment as Liquidator and wind up of parent and subsidiary corporations;
• Marina – Operation and sale of regionally significant water access point through court appointed receivership and bankruptcy, including negotiating with two levels of government to maintain access to leased lands;
• Real estate development – sale of partially completed condominium project and management of construction liens by a court appointed receiver. Receivership and sale of a re-purposed industrial building into multi-user commercial space;
• Manufacturing – assumed control of a boat manufacturing facility after death of the owner through a court appointed receivership, sold remaining assets and settled ongoing litigation;
• Manufacturing – business review, receivership and bankruptcy appointments on a variety of furniture manufacturing enterprises;
• Estate – Administration of insolvent deceased estate including recovery of assets in Europe and United States;
• Retail – Court appointed receivership and bankruptcy of franchise building centre.
Bill also has extensive experience with consumer debtors and small business owners.
Bill has made significant contributions to the insolvency profession through various board positions and involvement in industry associations. Bill is chair of a working group on the International Recognition of Insolvency Proceedings for Individuals (INSOL) and has served as a Director of INSOL International, the leading international organization for insolvency and restructuring professionals. He has testified before the Senate Committee on Banking Trade and Commerce with respect to proposed amendments to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act and the Companies Creditors Arrangements Act and participated in consultations with Industry Canada on amendments to the statutes after introduction of legislation. Bill was a member of the World Bank Task Force on the Insolvency of Natural Persons. Bill presents and writes regularly on a variety of topics.
• Member, Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals
• Member, Insolvency International
• Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario
• Member, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
• Member, Turnaround Management Association
• Member, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
• Member, Insolvency Institute of Canada